Application requirements

Each College/University has its own application process. All College/University have paper applications and most of them now have online applications, which is practical when you live overseas.

Most College/University have a special application process for International students. Please go to the admission section of the College/University of your choice for more information. As an International student you will be required to provide more information than resident students. You can find a list of Los Angeles Colleges/Universities here.

It is a long and arduous process but it’s worth it.

English Proficiency Requirements

If English is not your native language, or if you have not had your secondary education taught in English, you will be required to provide proof of your English proficiency. Since most classes are taught in English, you must demonstrate your ability to read, write and speak English.

Most Colleges/Universities will use the TOEFL® (Test of English as a Foreign Language™) to measure your English proficiency. You can check for schedules here.
Take the test as soon as possible.
Each College/University has their own score requirements so check with them.
But, guys, here is the thing: if you can understand what you are reading now, you don’t have to worry about a thing.

Financial Certification

In order to study in the United States as an International student, you must prove to the College/University that you are applying to that you have enough money to support yourself.

Each College/University determines the typical costs for International students. This budget includes registration fees as well as the costs for housing, books, and certain other living expenses. Here you will find out the average amount you will need to live here as an International student.

As an international student you will need to have your bank provide a certification that you have at least the amount required available, or that funds are available from a reliable source like a parent.

Now this is important: There is NO FINANCIAL AID for International students in public Colleges/Universities. However, private Colleges/Universities can provide some scholarships based on merit.

Academic Records Requirements

Each College/University will look at your high school or secondary school work as part of their admission determination. Please provide official transcripts of your secondary or high school work including your graduation.

Health Evaluations

Most Colleges/Universities will require you to complete a Health Evaluation Form. Check with your College/University for its particular form. Included on most forms is an immunization history. Be sure your medical doctor or health care provider includes the day, month and year of your immunizations. If you are not up to date on your immunization, hurry and have them done as soon as possible

Application and Related Fees

Most community colleges have an application fee for International students. Send this fee with your application, preferably as an international money order or a check from a US bank. NO CASH.

If you are admitted to the College/University, at a minimum, you will be required to obtain a student visa to enter the United States. There are various fees you will be required to pay. Your College/University and U.S. Embassy or Consulate will be able to tell you more.

Student Visa

If you are accepted at the College/University, your College/University will send you a USCIS Form I-20 A-B/ID (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status – for Academic and Language Students). The I-20 verifies your eligibility to be processed for an F-1 student visa. To obtain your F-1 visa you must take your campus-issued I-20 A-B/ID to an U.S. Consulate or Embassy in your country. We strongly advise you to start your student visa process as soon as you receive your I-20 A-B/ID.

Most embassies and consulates require advance appointments to issue a student visa. When you apply for your student visa you must be prepared to show the Consulate or Embassy your financial documentation. You will also need to pay the various fees at that time. You cannot make your travel arrangements until you have been issued your student visa so the earlier you handle this task the better.

Do not take this part lightly. Go to that visa interview as if you are applying for a job. If they feel that you are not really going to study in the United States, they will not give you the student visa. So be ready to prove that you are NOT coming to the United States to stay.

Once you got the visa, you are ready to come to the United States to study as an International student to the College/University of your choice!

Share: These icons link to social bookmarking sites where readers can share and discover new web pages.
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Mixx
  • TwitThis
  • Technorati
  • Facebook
  • Google
  • e-mail